Monday, May 24, 2010

One of the ways that we decided I could stay home is if I could cut our budget. I have been home for two years next month. I have learned how to make a lot of stuff in the last two years. I make my own laundry soap and almost all bread products at home. I learned how to make jam and then learned how to make pop tarts. Homemade cream of whatever soup is a huge money saver. Everyone on uses cream soup for something or other. This is super easy to do!

Homemade Cream of ___ Soup Mix

2 cups powdered milk
¾-1 ¼ cups cornstarch or 2 ½ cups flour
¼ cups chicken, beef, or vegetable bouillon granules
2 Tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 teaspoon dried basil or marjoram, crushed
½ teaspoon black or white pepper

Combine all ingredients and blend until mixed. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. This recipe makes 3 cups and is enough for 9 cans of soup.

To substitute for one can of condensed cream soup:
In a 1-quart saucepan or microwave safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup of soup mix and 1 1/4 cup water. (If made with flour, add ½ cup mix to 1 ¼ water.) For soup, double the water. Bring to a boil or microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

No comments: