Sunday, September 26, 2010

Recently, like in the last two weeks, we have started menu planning. So here is the menu for the week:

Sunday: Roast, potatoes and gravy, vegetable, rolls
Monday: Pork Chops, sides to be decided
Tuesday: Dirty Rice
Wednesday: Tacos
Thursday: Fried Rice
Friday: Pizza!
Saturday: Chili
Sunday: Brats and fries

Ok. Not a very healthy week but it will be yummy. Dirty rice is good but comes from a box. I cannot make it cheaper from scratch because of some of the spices involved. Tacos are tacos but I will be making the tortillas from scratch! I would share the chili recipe with you guys but Boyfriend would kill me. It is his prize winning recipe. Well, one day. He has yet to enter it into a contest. Brats and fries are a cop out too but I have the stuff in the freezer and it has to be eaten!
I make my roast in the crockpot. I put a frozen roast in, toss in an onion (or two) that has been quartered and separated (YUMMY!!!), some minced garlic, some gravy mix, a dash of beef bouillon, and a little pepper. I cook it on low all day. I start with a frozen roast because my slow cooker cooks rather fast and this is the only way I have figured to use this one. I use the broth from the roast to make the gravy using a corn starch slurry. The rolls I will make are the 30 minute rolls from the Hillbilly Housewife website. They are so good and super fast to make! I hope you enjoy!

My tip for the roast...when dinner is over and you have some leftover roast but not enough for a meal or lunch, put it in a bag with the leftover broth. Throw the veggies in too! This will make a great stew one day! Then you have a "free" meal since it was just leftovers.

No comments: