Thursday, September 23, 2010

Yesterday was the the first official day of autumn. I love the cooler weather though I hate the cold. We live in Florida so it is still very hot. It was only 95 yesterday!! I love fall and winter foods. They are such comfort foods. Soups and stews, yummy! I have some new recipes and can't wait to try them.
I have started doing a few new/different things. First, I got back into Swag Bucks. This is program that you earn "swag bucks" for doing searches. There are some rules and they have to be legitimate searches but Google doesn't pay me and Swag Bucks does. I started doing this in the middle of August. It is the end of September and I have redeemed for 3 $5 Amazon gift cards. And since then I have discovered a few of my other programs can also pay out in Amazon GC. My debit card with my bank earns points and I cashed in for Amazon GC. So with all that free money (!!!) I ordered a tortilla press. Completely free-ish. I didn't even have to pay for the shipping, it was covered with the gift cards.
Search & Win
The other thing I am doing is trying to cut my grocery bill. In our house, we have me(34), boyfriend(31), my father (age not disclosed), Z (14 year old boy), and 0 (9 month old girl). I started at the beginning of September and have kept track of everything that I have spent on food for the past month. We have spent just under $500 and the food should last us a total of 6 weeks. I threw in some extra money since we will need some produce and milk, eggs in the next few weeks. All in all, between sales and coupons, for 6 weeks of groceries, we spent on average $90 a week. I am hoping to get that down but we also homeschool and boyfriend takes his meals to work. So that is three meals a day for all of us. I am thinking I didn't do too bad. I found a blog that matches coupons with the sales and she is less than a hundred miles from me! I am also going to try doing meal planning. We made a menu for two weeks and so far have stuck to it. Here's hoping!

No comments: