Monday, February 22, 2010

Bread Recipes

A few years ago high fructose corn syrup started getting a lot of press. The more I read about it, the less I liked it. Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer that nothing is bad for you as long as it is eaten in moderation. See, I just justified the cake I have in the fridge! It is a talent I have. (see Wednesdays justification for another Disney trip) Back on topic: High fructose corn syrup is in just about everything! That is not in moderation. The body processes it differently than natural sugars. Diabetes is a serious concern in my family so it is something that caught my attention. In my quest to limit the amount of HFCS that my family is taking in, I started out making my own bread. It really isn't that hard to do. I messed up a few batches but it happens. I have messed a few dinners too. Didn't stop me from making dinner! So here are two of my favorite bread recipes. The Soft as Wonder Bread is really good. But we really really like the Soft Sandwich Rolls. I just follow the directions but rise and bake in a bread pan. Very good!
Soft As Wonder Bread:
1 cup water (room temp)
1 tsp salt
3 tblsp margarine
1 tblsp honey
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered milk (not skim)
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
Directions:
add ingredients in the order given to your bread machine. Select dough cycle. Shape into a loaf and place in a loaf pan. Let rise in a warm place for about 40 mins until it has doubled in size. Bake on center rack at 350 for 25-30 mins. cool one a rack before slicing.

Do not cool in the pan! It makes for a very wet loaf of bread. To tell if your bread is done, thump it with your thumb. If it sounds hollow then it is done.

The Soft Sandwich Rolls recipe I grabbed from King Arthur Flour's website. Here is the link to the recipe: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-sandwich-rolls-recipe
I hope I have inspired you to try making your own bread. Or if you already do, feel free to share a recipe with us!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Uhm...I messed up dinner more than once, does that mean I don't have to cook dinner? How about those Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies I have in my drawer at work, I only eat them in moderation (one at a time) so that justifies those there to right?
I'm gonna make bread, but not until my hubby lets me get a stand up mixer thingy ma jig. Until then, I will eat bread in moderation....2 pieces at a time.

He & Me + 3 said...

i so need to get a bread machine. I told someone else that today.
Popped over from Melissa's blog.

Angela said...

Thanks for coming over! Read my review from Wednesday on my machine. It was only 50 bucks at Walmart!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I love fresh homemade bread. I started making my own few moths ago.

I am your new follower. I came by from Melissa. Can't wait to read more of your posts.