Sunday, February 14, 2010

I am brand new to this whole blogging thing. My sister got me started. Her and a friend were so kind as to design this for me. Aren't they so nice! I decided to blog about what I know. So on Mondays I will post a new recipe. We are not fancy eaters here. I hate seafood. I have not been very adventurous in the past but I am learning to try new things. Actually, at the age of 33 I am finding that I have missed out on a lot of good food over the years. I am also relatively frugal. I make most things at home and find my recipes for free around the internet. We do tend to tweak recipes to our liking though. Today I am making waffles to freeze. I will use homemade Bisquick. It is so easy to make you won't believe you have been buying this stuff!

Waffles:
2 cups homemade bisquick
1 1/3 cups milk
1 egg
2 tbl vegetable oil
dash of vanilla

Mix all ingredients together. Preheat waffle iron. When the iron is hot, spray liberally with non-stick spray. Pour some batter on the iron making sure that all the bumps are covered. Cook for about 5 mins. They are done when they are golden brown.

Bisquick:
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cornstarch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Mix well. Store in airtight container. Lasts for 6 months.

I make really large batches at once. Then I lay them on cookie sheet and put them in the freezer. Once they are frozen solid I vacuum seal them. If you try to vacuum seal them before they are frozen, you squish them beyond recognition and they NEVER get their shape back. Learn from my mistakes! You could put them in zipper bags but they tend to get freezer burnt over time. When you or one of the kids wants a waffle, just pop it in the toaster. Hot, fresh, yummy, and you know what is in it!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I really am gonna try to make that bisquick mix. I make biscuits way to often to keep buying it buy the box.

Angela said...

I told you it was super easy. You should listen to your older, wiser sister.

Anonymous said...

I will have to make that homemade bisquick.